Monday, November 22, 2010

Stefan Kempas - the interview-

"Black like milk" nominated for an Europrix in the category: Online & digital video/TV
-Germany-
Brief description:
Brilliant short film based on personal identity and its relationship with media involving political, economical and social matters in people's lives. How relevant is milk?
How did you come up with the story?
I was just thinking of the power of advertising and the orientation this is taking in our generation. I thought of taking all that back to the advertising and fight advertising with more advertising.
What are the techniques you applied in your short film?
I used Photoshop to get rid of the unwanted objects from the picture frames, then used After Effects to dramatize some parts of the scenes as rain or breaking glass and I also used 3D MAX to do the picture rotation because it would have been more difficult with After Effects or to do tracking with the camera from those angles.
What was the most challenging part of the production process?
The beginning of the production was difficult because I had to plan everything on my own. In the pre-production I had to develop the idea, write the script, do the storyboard, animatics, etc, all that may have been the hardest part of the whole project, then everything else was easier. Of course I had to read many books about techniques and also about advertising and media for this project. I basically produced the whole project on my own.
How long did it take to produce the final result?
Actually it wasn't as long as I thought it would take. I only used 3 weeks for shooting, editing and working on the picture manipulation. After that I just had to put it on the platform. In general it all took about one semester.
What is the message you want to give to people with "Black like milk"?
Originally I wanted to turn TV boradcasting from "cold to hot". I mean that when you watch TV you are just receiving information and being passive, so this is like a call about people becoming active through media. It is represented by fighting advertising and media with more advertising and media.
Why did you choose on-line platform for releasing your short film?
As I said in the presentation, I could have put it on YouTube and I could have got some comments and it would have been considered as a social thing. I put in the website because it would attract people who are more interested in the topic and really want to know the meaning of the short film.
What kind of feeback have you got so far about this project?
In the presentation I got comments pointing that I should target the film to educational areas such as highschools and institutions to cause awareness on people (young people especially) about the power of media and its consequences.
Did you have a big budget for this project?
Hmm, not really. I used mainly equipment from the school and also my computer. The actor in the short film was some guy who studies acting and he did it for free! It was a very low budget I must say.
Do you think you can win the Europrix in your category?
I think there are many good projects in my category and it would be very difficult to win. Hopefully I could win.

No comments:

Post a Comment