Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Introduction to Yummy

Multimedia Culinary Companion for the Entire Family

Yummy is a diploma project carried out by five graduate students from the Digital Design and Production -course at Gobelins l'Ecole de l'Image in Paris, France. It’s an interactive application that promises to make meal planning easy.

Technologytablets and MID + mobile (iPhone, Android)

The Ideato easily plan on weekly menus and separate meals, also for those on special diets. It promises to take into account health issues and personal preferences of each user in relation to cooking.

Features:   Tactile Application: recipes, schedule, follow-up, shopping list, timer, webradio
                  Mobile application: recipes, follow-up, schedule, shopping list

---

Opinion: Yummy looks promising and could have a good market potential compared to the other nominees in the same category. Yes, I think it’s worth being nominated. I would pay for it if it is as detailed and user-friendly as it looks. Though I’m not aware how superb similar applications there are available already so it’s difficult to estimate the competitiveness of this app any further in that sense.

My favorite feature is “sudden craving” for the mobile application which is designed to help the uninspired grocery shopper by giving options for decent nutrition based on the preconditions set by the user. Sounds like a really handy feature for busy people who don’t always have time to plan the meals properly and create shopping lists accordingly.

My biggest doubt is that the application has too many features and ends up being user-unfriendly and confusing. Though I have to say I really like the neat visual demo that can be checked out on their website. I cannot test the app for real but I’m looking forward to do so when they launch.


Check out Yummy

6 comments:

  1. I find this a great idea, but there is one particularly important aspect missing, that I couldn't find from the demos. (Or maybe it was there but I can't read French.:)

    It is vital for some people (like me) in special diets to find the nutritional information of the foods they prepare. Kcals is not enough, e.g. I always need to know exactly how much fat I'm eating. There are cooking pages in the net that provide that info easily, I hope that feature is in Yummy as well, I just couldn't find it.

    I think this would work well in real life, still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, and not just how much fat, but also what kind of fat? And sugar? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like an app like this to also know what I have in my kitchen cupboard so that you could put together ingredients from the store and from home, otherwise I'd probably buy stuff I already have or forget I ever had those beans I bought last month. I agree with the need to know the nutritional information as there are so many different kinds of products with sort of same content. Is this only targeted at those who do not need or use any kind of self discipline in their eating?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Danko and Eka.
    There needs to be more information about food here. Isn't that half of the whole idea of this application?

    The marketing for this is so well done. It made want to go out and acquire myself an iPhone and buy the application even though I do not think it would help all that much. This has a lot of potential, but from I can tell, it's not quite where is should be and there might be other applications like this already with even better features.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All: Yummy is an application prototype that doesn't have the actual content yet. It has the readiness to input all the nutritional information of the foods in the system. The possibility to input all the relevant information around a special diet is in fact claimed to be the best feature of this app. At present they are looking for commercial and industrial partners to work with.

    Anayte: It's funny you mentioned this. Check out the interview I just posted and see the idea from which Yummy got started :)

    Albert: I agree, it makes me wanna buy an iPhone.

    ReplyDelete