Monday, November 8, 2010

Introducing Whispering Table



Whispering table is an interactive installation made by TheGreenEyl about food and religion, or more accurately the rituals related to food and eating. It consists of a table laden with different-shaped dishes that have voices telling about four different specific rituals, and in time, their personal stories with food. The technically interesting part is that the dishes change their stories according to which part of the table they are at and where the other dishes are in relation to them. There is a small device within each dish that carries the power supply, the speaker and some sensors. You can get a pretty good idea of the project through the video here.

I think the project does deserve to be nominated for cleverness and the magic-like workings of the dishes, but I don't think and art installation has a chance in a contest like this, even if there is technology and interaction involved. I personally like the idea a lot, these kind of pieces are the most interesting in any exhibition. The devices used for the dishes sound like they might have some very interesting practical uses, but from the top of my head I'm just not sure what they would be. Herding devices for sheep that give a shock when an individual strays? Herding devices for retirement house residents?
There is always the chance of winning in the category of installations, but I think all three nominees are strong... and I totally disagreed with last year's Ubimedia awards so it's not like I have a sixth sense for winners.

2 comments:

  1. I've been to the Jewish Museum in Berlin and they truly have some weirdest pieces of museum exhibits I've ever seen... (And we are not talking about the architecture of the place here!)

    Here we approach the differences and similarities between design and art as well as interaction. I guess sometimes it's just best to throw in real wacko ideas and see where they lead you to. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so strange!
    The technology behind it seems very intricate and the design has that clean, modern feel, but the whole idea of the exhibit confuses me a bit. Are we supposed to learn about the diets of different cultures and the rituals related to them?

    I would have to see this whispering table for myself. The question I would like answered is this; What is this thing again?

    ReplyDelete