Sunday, November 7, 2010

Introducing Mole Control


Mole Control is PC puzzle game that brings Minesweeper to the 21st century. There's a cute backstory about a village, which is danger of being overrun by explosive moles and it's up to the hero and his weird device to save the day! This device that looks like a cross between a buggy and a UFO is your key to finding the deadly, exploding moles and removing them before they cause damage. But be careful of not driving over them as they'll go KABOOM! You can get a more detailed descriptiond and watch the game trailer here.


Mole Control was developed by Remode, a small game studio based in Plymouth. It was started by two students, Andy Russell and Martin Darby, fresh from university. Games are their main thing, but they also do web design, visualisations and simulations to keep the money flowing in.

I think the game deserves to be nominated. The quality of graphics and gameplay is impressive, and the idea is also original to my mind. I like the idea of taking an old mechanic and bringing it up-to-date. It's already a success that it has managed to win me over, and I used to hate Minesweeper.

However, I don't think it will win the top prize or even its own category as Max and the Magic Marker has "Winner" tattooed to its forehead. It's got lot more press and attention already (even I'd heard of it), but the rest were bit of mystery to me. Mole Control was a pleasant surprise, but it's not original enough to beat Max. The jury might disagree (I'm correct that the jury makes the decision?), but then I'd start to doubt their bias.

1 comment:

  1. The game looks... okay.
    It looks very repetitive and I think I would get pretty bored playing this, but that's just my opinion. It has some good ideas and looks interesting enough for some, but you are right; there's no way it will win when it's up against Max and his Magic Marker :D

    ReplyDelete