Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Introducing 'Experiencing Abstract Information'

'Experiencing Abstract Information' is a bachelor thesis by Stefan Kuzaj and Jochen Winkler. In a nutshell it's an interactive display for various data. Currently there's three different example prototypes they used in this project:


1. Water Pollution: User has tokens to create projected pollution in real water. The width of the streams shows the total pollution for each country.


2. Big Mac Index: How long do you have to work in different cities for a Big Mac or a kilogram of bread? Work for the information yourself and experience the differences.


3. Human Diagram: Create information graphics with your body. Control data sets and compare information with a split screen function


I'd suggest that you watch the video since the written descriptions sound somewhat cryptic:



Actually, after watching the video I'm still not sure how the whole thing works… but I'm definitely interested in finding out!


Displaying various data by engaging the user in series of activities sounds refreshing and fun. At least it's something I'm totally unfamiliar with. Their chances of winning an award don't seem that far-fetched, really. I'm sure that it's essential to experience it yourself to really understand and appreciate the project, though.

1 comment:

  1. The main point I can find in this creation is to maybe make presentations and datasheets and diagrams etc more interesting and interactive. Other than the fact that it made me crave a burger from MacDonald's even though I hate the taste, I did not get very excited about this.

    The question I would ask to the creator is what practical uses he sees for it in the real world.

    ReplyDelete