Sunday, November 21, 2010

An Interview with Joan Masoliver (A Beautiful Bloody Sound)

I interviewed Joan Masoliver who's short animation A Beautiful Bloody Sound was nominated in the Computer Graphics and Design category. Joan is originally from Spain and lives there now but lived in United Kingdom while he was working on this project.

How much time did you use on the A Beautiful Bloody Sound?

as it was my graduation project I had to give strong studies about the subject. along with theoric and the realization of the piece i spent about 5 months.

How much of that was design and planning?

planning was almost 4 months. the sound narration planning, editing and compositing was almost one month, and the animation I spent one week full time.

Do you think that your studies have given you the skills that you need or have you gained them from somewhere else?

the studies are important to place you on the right direction, but I looked for some inspiration in other sources such internet. Vimeo, youtube, and some other web tutorial pages have been really inspiring and they allowed me to develope self-studing skills.

How did you come to use Cinema 4D instead of other 3D-programs?

I started with 3d max and I used to feel quite confortable, but I found out that cinema 4d is better prepared for motion graphics. the prompt results are significantly better with CD4.

Have you worked with 3D-sound before A Beautiful Bloody Sound and where did you get the idea from?

I never worked before that. within my graduation project i had to find the better digital media to get people involve in a cause. and it came that 3d sound could work better into the feellings of the people than other mediums.

I'm going to start an 3D animation project of my own quite soon. What advice would you give to me?

the planning is the most important. test your ideas, see how they work into people, and if you can improve this relation deveolope this idea.

try to love what you do and think what you wanna show, or what you want to get from the project.make some tests before and ask for opinion from other people.

and then look for the details. the simpliest details make the diffrence.

Is there ome other people or animations that have inspired you on your own works?

in this case, i just started with cinema 4d, so i was limitated for the skills. I wanted to keep in very simply and improve step by step. so there is not an specific inspiration. i just wanted something simple to achieve.

but in other projects I looked inspiration from nick campbell, onur senktuk, korb...

Do you prefer working alone or as part of a team and why

if you play alone you decide what you want and that is easier to work with. but if you work with other people they give other

perspective, and in the end the work you achieve is better. always you need references form outside, like opinions, guides... and if you work in a team, all the members help solve this fact.

1 comment:

  1. It would have been nice to know more about her interest in the issue she seems eager to bring to light, but all in all, good interview and she has some good advice to give.

    ReplyDelete